Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Statement of Equity & Inclusion
Through accreditation and other services, the Association will require and support the work of each ISACS school to provide an equitable, affirming, safe, and just environment.
- Glossary of LGBT Terms for Health Care Teams
- Children's Books with Transgender, Non-Binary and Gender Expansive Children
- 17 Children's Books About Gender
- Early Childhood Books: Learning About Gender Identity
- Bongiovanni, A & Jimerson, T. A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
- Vaid-Menon, A. Beyond the Gender Binary
- Hall, M. Red: A Crayon's Story
- Van Ness, Jonathan. Peanut Goes for the Gold
CRITICAL RACE THEORY
- Lesson in Critical Race Theory. American Bar Association
- The Truth About Critical Race Theory and How it Shows Up in Our Schools. Education Post
FREQUENTLY RAISED TOPICS
- Indigenous reads by indigenous writers: A children's reading list. Embrace Race, Medium, 11/01/17.
- Patel, E. Out of many faiths: Religious diversity and the American promise. Princeton University Press, 2018.
- Sharing your stage. The Arthur Brooks Show, Vox, 7/19/18.
- Tatum, B.D. Why are all the black kids still sitting together in the cafeteria? and other conversations about race. Revised and updated. Basic Books, 2017.
- Anderson, M.D. Why schools need more teachers of color -- for white students. The Atlantic, 8/06/15.
- Costello, M. The Trump Effect: The impact of the 2016 presidential election on our nation's schools. Southern Poverty Law Center, 11/28/16.
- Fosberg, M. Incognito: An American odyssey of race and self-discovery. Perfect Bound, 2/15/11.
- Inazu, J.D. Confident pluralism: Surviving and thriving through deep difference. University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- Kane, P.R. & Orsini, A.J., Ed. The colors of excellence: Hiring and keeping teachers of color in independent schools. Teachers College Press, 2002.
- Kinsey, T.C. How schools can build unity in divided times. Independent Ideas blog, NAIS, March 19, 2017.
- Michael, A., & Bartoli, E. What white children need to know about race. Independent School, NAIS, Summer 2014.
- One and all: Strategies to protect students, reject bullying, and build communities where everyone thrives. Usable Knowledge, Harvard Graduate School of Education.
- Resources for addressing racism and hatred in the classroom. ASCD. August 14, 2017.
- Safir, S. Fostering identity safety in your classroom. Edutopia, 2/19/16.
- Schneider, V. Classroom library assessment: How culturally responsive is your library? The Open Book blog, Lee & Low Books, 5/22/17.
- Wilson, D. Taking steps to support transgender students and school communities. The Independent School Magazine Blog, NAIS 11/01/16.
ASSOCIATIONS & ORGANIZATIONS
- Equity Exchange
- Gender Spectrum
- GLSEN: Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network
- National Association of School Psychologists