DEI Resources Archive
Cultural Competence, Multi-cultural Education, Inclusion & Equity
- Adichi, C.N. The danger of a single story. TEDTalk, 2009.
- Farber, J. Letter to membership on new equity resolution. ISACS, 10/27/15.
- Indigenous reads by indigenous writers: A children’s reading list. Embrace Race, Medium, 11/01/17.
- Pinkus, A. After the People of Color Conference: 10 guideposts on the path to equity and inclusion. NAIS, 12/09/15.
- Safir, S. Fostering identity safety in your classroom. Edutopia, 2/19/16.
- Schneider, V. Classroom library assessment: How culturally responsive is your library? The Open Book blog, Lee & Low Books, 5/22/17.
- Stevenson, B. Just mercy: A story of justice and redemption. Spiegel & Grau, 2014.
Response to Increase in Hate Speech and Polarization
- Costello, M. The Trump Effect: The impact of the 2016 presidential election on our nation's schools. Southern Poverty Law Center, 11/28/16.
- Inazu, J.D. Confident pluralism: Surviving and thriving through deep difference. University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- Kinsey, T.C. How schools can build unity in divided times. Independent Ideas blog, NAIS, March 19, 2017.
- One and all: Strategies to protect students, reject bullying, and build communities where everyone thrives. Usable Knowledge, Harvard Graduate School of Education.
- Power, J. Thoughts from the Head. Culver Academies, June 2017 (podcast).
- Resources for addressing racism and hatred in the classroom. ASCD. August 14, 2017.
- Sharing your stage. The Arthur Brooks Show, Vox, 7/19/18.
Immigration & Refugees
- Immigration syllabus. University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing and eLearning Support Initiative.
- Mascareñaz, L. What do I say to students? Teaching Tolerance, 1/30/17.
- Palfrey, J. On the Executive Orders of January 2017. Phillips Academy, 2/01/17.
- Tavares, L. 3 ways to address the latest news on immigration with your students. Facing History and Ourselves, 1/30/17.
- Wilson, D., & Silverman, W. NAIS legal advisory: Immigration issues for independent schools. NAIS, 2/16/17.
Faculty of Color
- Anderson, M.D. Why schools need more teachers of color -- for white students. The Atlantic, 8/06/15.
- Brosnan, M. Thriving in independent schools: An AISNE guide for educators of color. AISNE, 2003.
- Brosnan, M. AISNE guide to hiring and retaining teachers of color. AISNE, 2015.
- Kane, P.R. & Orsini, A.J., Ed. The colors of excellence: Hiring and keeping teachers of color in independent schools. Teachers College Press, 2002.
- McKibbon, S. Fixing the leak in the teaching force. Education Update, ASCD, December 2015.
- Mellow, A. Faculty of color: Lessons from the field. NAES, December 2015.
- Savini, C. Bias among the well-intentioned: How it can affect the hiring process. NAIS, 2010.
Gender & Sexuality Diversity
Consultants and Organizations:
- Jennifer Bryan, Team Finch Consultants
- Gender Spectrum
- GLSEN: Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network
- National Association of School Psychologists
- TransYouth Family Allies
- Alex Myers
- Alex Scott
- 2016 transgender in students in schools: Frequently asked questions and answers for public school boards and staff. National School Boards Association.
- 'Becoming Nicole' recounts one family's acceptance of their transgender child. Fresh Air, NPR, 10/19/15.
- Bryan, J. From the dress-up corner to the senior prom: Navigating gender and sexuality diversity in PreK-12 schools. R&L Education, 2012.
- Cohn-Vargas, B., & Steele, D.M. Creating an identity-safe classroom. Edutopia, 10/21/15.
- Elejalde-Ruiz, A. How firms are handling transgender employees -- and their colleagues. Chicago Tribune, 1/09/16.
- Greytak, E.A., et al. From teasing to torment: School climate revisited. GLSEN.
- Growing up LGBT in America: HRC Youth Survey Report key findings. Human Rights Campaign, 2012.
- Savage, T., et al. District and School Transgender and Gender Diverse Readiness Assessment Form. 1/21/16.
- Schaefer, L. More than safe: Creating a school where LGBTQ students thrive. Useable Knowledge, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 10/25/16.
- Transgender students and school bathrooms: Frequently asked questions. Gender Spectrum, May 2016.
- Transparenthood blog and resource list
- Trump administration rescinds Obama rules on transgender bathroom use. Wall Street Journal, 2/23/17.
- Wilson, D. Taking steps to support transgender students and school communities. The Independent School Magazine Blog, NAIS 11/01/16.
- Wright, T.E. Research from the Educational Forum: LGBT educators and school climate. KDP Blog, 10/2/15.
- Wright, T.E., & Smith, N.J. A safer place? LGBT educators, school climate, and implications for administrators. The Educational Forum, Volume 79, 2015, pp. 394-407 (fee for access).
Race & Race Relations
- Coates, T. Between the world and me. Penguin Random House, 2015.
- Fosberg, M. Incognito: An American odyssey of race and self-discovery. Perfect Bound, 2/15/11.
- Michael, A. What white children need to know about race. Independent School, NAIS, Summer 2014.
- Tatum, B.D. Why are all the black kids still sitting together in the cafeteria? and other conversations about race. Revised and updated. Basic Books, 2017.
- Patel, E. Out of many faiths: Religious diversity and the American promise. Princeton University Press, 2018.
- Shafer, L. Fostering inclusion: How educators can help students navigate anti-Muslim bias -- and counteract it in their schools. Usable Knowledge, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2/11/16.