Lori Cohen has worked in both public and independent schools for over two decades serving as a teacher, instructional coach, school leader, and professional development facilitator whose expertise spans a range of topics. Cohen brings intentionality and a broad array of skill sets to her design and facilitation—all through the lenses of equity and inclusion—and she facilitates with a balance of humility, humor, and heart. In 2019, she began working as an independent consultant. She has worked with the Eastern Education Resource Collaborative (East Ed) and as the developer of people and programs for Bright Morning Consulting. Cohen has written articles and blogs for English Journal, EdWeek, the California Teacher Development Collaborative, and Bright Morning Consulting, and she was a contributing author of The Art of Coaching Workbook (2020). She is co-author with Elena Aguilar of The PD Book: 7 Habits that Transform Professional Development.
Transformational Design for
ISACS Lead Learners
with Lori Cohen, Educational Consultant & Author
Date: Friday, April 12, 2024 * 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Location: ISACS Classroom, Downtown Chicago
THIS WORKSHOP IS FOR ISACS MEMBER SCHOOLS ONLY.
Each participant must register themselves individually for the Workshop. There is no group discount.
Each participant MUST have a contact record in the system prior to registration.
Please see "Registration Tips" located at the bottom for more information.
All Lead Learners are invited to the first workshop designed specifically for you as teacher leaders and voices for professional learning in your schools. Lori Cohen, co-author of the PB Book: 7 Habits that Transform Professional Development, will be working with Lead Learners to understand:
- What makes professional development transformational
- How to create conditions and new systems for adult learning that are centered in equity, adult learning principles, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), liberatory design
- Strategies to design a professional development session, meeting, or equivalent content
- Building community with colleagues in the learning space
- How to be inspired by a learning experience that catalyzes growth
This daylong workshop is a “meta-lab” for Lead Learners who play a role in designing professional learning and meetings for adults. The “meta” part means we’ll be exploring through the lens of professional learning participants who are reflective about our work with adult learners. The “lab” part is the opportunity to design your own professional learning or meeting and refine your skills. To that end, consider embodying the following mindsets:
- Inhabit a learner’s mindset as you engage in this work. With each of our activities, think about what you learned, how your identities have an impact on your learning, what you might apply or adapt to your context, and where you have more questions or seek to learn more.
- Bring an idea to take through the design lab: A workshop, set of meetings, or professional learning structures you’re designing for the first time; a do-over workshop (something you want to revise/revamp); or a dream workshop (something that you’ve always wanted to create). Additionally, be open to the ways your ideas may evolve or change throughout the day.
Be part of the first Lead Learner workshop and be inspired to strengthen your skills and presence as a teacher leader in your school! Attendance is limited and we expect to reach capacity for this event – register early to insure your participation.
We enthusiastically look forward to your active participation!
ISACS reserves the right to revoke the registration and end the participation of any registrant who does not follow the ISACS Policies & Disclaimers for Professional Learning Events.
- $100 per person from an ISACS member school.
- This workshop is for ISACS members only.
- Each participant must register themselves for the 4/12 workshop.
- Please see the tabs above on "How to Register".
- There is no group discount for this workshop.
- The workshop includes coffee/tea, continental breakfast, lunch, and refreshments.
- Once registered, you will receive an automatic confirmation email. ISACS will send a final confirmation approximately one-week prior to the workshop.
Cancellation Policy for ISACS In-Person Workshops
Cancellations for workshops held at the ISACS classroom must be received in writing to ISACS by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org 10 business days prior to the event to receive a refund. ISACS will determine the refund amount, if any, on a per workshop basis and may be unable to determine the refund amount until the workshop’s conclusion. At any time, registration may be transferred to another member from the same school. If a workshop has a waitlist and ISACS can identify a replacement, a full refund will be provided. ISACS reserves the right to cancel the workshop for insufficient enrollment. In this case, participants will be notified and will receive a full refund. If you feel ill or are experiencing flu-like symptoms, please remain at home.
Please contact email@example.com.