SAVE THE DATE!
Monday, July 20 - Wednesday, July 22, 2020
Wolcott School, Chicago, IL
Registration will open in spring 2020. Check back periodically for updates or call the ISACS at (312) 750-1190.
Date and Time
The New Teacher Institute will held on Monday, July 20-Wednesday, July 22. To maximize the impact of the Institute, participants should make plans to attend the Institute in its entirety.
New Teacher Institute Brochure
The brochure will be posted in the spring. ISACS will mail the brochure to ISACS member schools in April. If you would like to receive a copy, please call the ISACS office at (312) 750-1190.
Who Should Attend
Independent school educators in their first two years of teaching experience.
This energizing Institute will provide new teachers with the strategies essential for a successful start to their teaching careers. The Institute will also allow participants to begin building the foundations for long and successful careers in independent schools. Interactive experiences reflective of best practices will aid in the development of skills and understanding in the following areas:
- Understanding the culture of independent schools
- Communicating effectively with parents, students, colleagues, administration and the broader school community
- Understanding and strengthening cultural competencies
- Understanding the legalities that accompany the responsibilities
- Maintaining professionalism
- Managing classrooms effectively
- Designing curriculum through a backward design process
- Dealing with stress and change: anticipating challenges
- Building healthy relationships with colleagues of all ages and stages
- Understanding roles and responsibilities in admissions and development
- Dealing with conflict and difficult conversations
- Understanding and partnering with independent school parents
- Finding and using mentors
- Engaging in reflective practice
- Balancing responsibilities and managing time
- Building a foundation for long-term success
- Networking with others new to independent schools
Participants will engage in active and experiential approaches to understanding best practices for highly effective teaching. Presentations, conversations, role-playing, simulations, video analysis, collaborative work, professional readings, and personal testimonials will all be presented with research-based modeling of best practice, combined with humor, challenges, and the enduring commitment of experienced professionals.
Benefits to the School
School communities expect and require new teachers to be highly effective on the first day of school. Often, there is more information than can be processed effectively without overloading the new teacher. Participants will learn best practices at a manageable pace in a supportive atmosphere.
- $825 for an ISACS member.
- $925 for a non-ISACS member
- First registrant pays full fee, each additional registrant receives a $75 discount
- The registration fee includes all materials, three continental breakfasts, three lunches, one dinner and daily refreshment breaks
(Dates and times are firm)
Monday, July 20
- 9:00 am - Registration
- 9:30 am - 7:30 pm (Includes dinner)
Tuesday, July 21
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (Dinner on own)
Wednesday, July 22
- 8:00 am - 3:15 pm
What to Bring
Standards from one subject you are teaching.
What to Wear
Dress is casual, but bring layered clothing.
The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher by Harry K. Wong, Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov and The First Six Weeks of School from Responsive Classroom are very useful resources for new teachers.
The New Teacher Institute will take place at the Wolcott School, 524 N. Wolcott Ave., Chicago, IL 60622. The Institute is held in Chicago’s West Town neighborhood and is conveniently accessible by public transportation and taxis.
- Click here for directions and parking information for the Wolcott School.
- ISACS will provide group transportation to and from the Hotel Lincoln and the Wolcott School each day. For those with cars, there is ample, free street parking at the school.
Attendees must make their own hotel reservations. ISACS has secured a limited number of rooms at a discounted rate at the Hotel Lincoln. We recommend reserving your hotel accommodations early.
1816 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614
To make a reservation, call 1(312) 254-4700 and request the ISACS discounted rate of $159/night plus tax (for a room with a standard queen or a double double). Rates are valid for the nights of Sunday, July 19 – Tuesday, July 21 and must be booked by Sunday, June 28, 2020. Please use the group code “ISACS New Teacher Institute” when making reservations. To book your room online, click here.
If you need any assistance making your hotel reservations, please call the ISACS office at (312) 750-1190.
Directions & Parking at Hotel Lincoln
- For directions, public transportation to and parking information at the Hotel Lincoln, click here.
- For discounted parking, try the following websites: www.parkwhiz.com or Spot Hero - both of which should be booked in advance of your arrival.
Uber, Lyft and the train are quick and economical modes of transportation to Hotel Lincoln. ISACS has also negotiated a special rate with GO Airport Express for ISACS members – 15% off standard rates (Airport Express includes multiple stops which may result in a slightly longer trip). Reservations MUST be made in advance and online to receive the discounted rate. The standard rate per person to/from O’Hare is approximately $28 one-way; $49 round-trip. The standard rate per person to/from Midway is approximately $24 one-way; $40 round-trip. To receive the 15% discount off the standard rates, please click here for the Go Airport Express website to make a reservation in advance. A credit card is required and charged at the time of reservation. Airport walk-ups are not be eligible for the discounted rate, standard rates apply. Parties of two or more reserving at the same time receive a discount. Please visit the website for more information.