Resources > School Culture & Student Life
School Culture & Student Life
Communication & Conflict Resolution
Demonstrations and Protests
Diversity & Equity
Health Services and Immunization
Loss, Trauma, & Crisis
School Responses to Orlando Tragedy, Spring 2016
As we consider the Orlando tragedy and try to help our students and families make sense of the news, these school-community letters by ISACS colleagues may be of interest:
Sexual Misconduct, Child Abuse, and Neglect: Response and Prevention
- "Behaviors of sexual predators: Grooming." Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA).
- "The five steps to protecting our children." Darkness to Light (D2L).
- Friel, L.M., & Fisher, M.D. "Sexual misconduct in independent schools: Minimizing risk and creating the safest possible environment for all community members." NAIS, 7/25/14 (password protected; limited to NAIS members)
- Friel, L.M., & Johnson, L.S. "Preventing and responding to educator sexual misconduct." Webinar. NAIS, 2013.
- Johnson, L.S. "Guidelines for dealing with educator sexual misconduct." NAIS, 2012.
- "Mandatory reporters of child abuse and neglect." Child Welfare Information Gateway, 2014.
- Rizzuto, A.P. & Crosson-Tower, C. The handbook on child safety for school leaders. NAIS, 2012.
- Additional resources on NAIS Open Forum, accessible whether or not an NAIS member.
Teaching and Assessing for Character
From the Archive
- "Advisor systems." OAIS white paper, 1998.
- Bassett, P. "Culture: Why good schools are countercultural." ISACS.
- Bassett, P. "Discipline." ISACS, 1997.
- Bassett, P. "Transcripts: Noting disciplinary events." 1997.
- Freed, D. "School culture." ISACS, 1996.
- Mandler, J.P. "Discipline committee," ISED list-serv,1997.
- Soulis, R, & Packer, A. "Adult attitudes and hidden heroes: Two overlooked keys to the problem of student alcohol and other drug use." FCD, 2000.
- Thompson, M. "Can narrative therapy heal the school 'family?'" ISACS, 1996.
- Thompson, M. "Peer pleasure, peer pain: Understanding the social lives of children." Independent School, NAIS, Fall 1997.